Search This Blog

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Onam..and some memories ..

Onam is a festival unique to Keralites & all mallus. Its celebrated irrespective of all religions, cast & creed. I think there should be very distinctive feel about it to everyone who grew up in Kerala for Onam. Its not celebrated for the worship on Gods, nor for any spiritual leaders nor for some historic day. Its just celebrated for the good old memories..!! Some memories of good old days which is said to have existed years back about the amity people shared each other. Memories of color, smell of paddy fields, whispers of blessings tender touch of grandmas.

I don't know if I really believe the history I've been told about this festival since by childhood when I was growing up in Kerala. But for me it was a nostalgic story which I always wanted to hear back to back, different versions of it every year. I always loved the story of that noble king. :). Apart from the school holidays Onam offered, the real fun part was visit to my parents place - 'Kilimanoor" some 40kms away from  'Trivandrum". We go fishing in the small canals by the paddy fields using bathing towels, then drop them in the drinking water tanks...!. We pluck mangoes and it doesn't mattered whether its good to eat or not but the best thing was getting mangoes from the tall trees. Playing games with cousins was never been so much fun. We drank water from the wells, we had grant feast on plantain leaves everyday from my "ammooma" (grandma),  we played in the paddy fields, we slept on cemented floors over a mat. Not even a moment I thought about a world other than that.

Every day when I see the morning sun I used to realize, its one day short from leaving there. I never wanted to leave that place. I sit on the stone paved steps and see the sun getting ready for the day and as my cousins wake up I just forget everything all over again. Finally the day comes when we all say good bye. The journey back home on the state transport bus I hated the most. As the bus laps in on the winding road I pass my time counting vehicles coming against us...finally one more vacation  is over and back to school..I hated schools..:))
My akku

Now as one more Onam is round the corner, I have planned something similar.  I am going home for a 9day holidays. I hope I can recall some of those lost memories..For sure my kid's around now..:))
 Happy Onam to all..!!!


1 comment:

  1. Hoi..good feelings darshu!!! while reading i am just rewinding my thoughts about my school days diwali experiance. Onam related to King Mabali..3ft land to kutty krishana..i think so..

    ReplyDelete